Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
Because of the potential for damage and injury to the police officer, our department does not open locked vehicles. A locksmith is your best alternative. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the Police Department will send a patrol unit to remove the child from the vehicle, possibly by breaking a window.

Is there a waiting period before I can report someone missing?
No. You may make a missing person report whenever you realize someone is missing.

I have left my spouse and am living elsewhere but I need to get my clothing and other items. Can the police help me?
The Police Department will send an officer to keep the peace and prevent violence while you retrieve your belongings, which is limited to a change of clothes and medication. Call the police from a public telephone near to where your belongings are, and an officer will go to the house with you.

Can I make a police report at any time of day and do I need to make an appointment?
The Police Department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to any requests for police assistance. Dial 911, explain your situation, and an officer will be dispatched to you. Our administrative Office is only open from 8:30am until 5:00pm. If you come to the Carrboro Century Center office (100 N. Greensboro St.) at other hours, pick up the red phone on the outside of the building and an officer will meet you at the police department.

Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?
Some reports can be taken over the telephone during normal business hours. The call taker can determine if your report can be handled over the telephone. The non-emergency phone number is 919-918-7397.

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?
The police can only tow away vehicles abandoned on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area, and the vehicle will be towed away at no cost to you. The wrecker service will notify the Police Department once they have the vehicle to determine ownership.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited, and any other information about persons in jail?
Call the jail information number, 919-245-2940, for questions about someone in jail. The jail is administered by the Orange County Sheriff`s Department.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were in a traffic accident?
The Police Department`s dispatch center does not have the names of persons involved in accidents available. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call themselves, we will notify their family.

I do not have any transportation and have to get somewhere. Can a police officer give me a ride?
NO! Police officers cannot provide rides.

I need to get a message to someone that does not have a telephone. Can the Police Department go to the person`s home and deliver the message?
The Police Department can only deliver emergency, life or death, messages.

Why did it take so long for the police to come when I called them last night?
All requests for police services are assigned to priority based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. At times, calls of a less urgent nature must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

My family and I are going on vacation. Can the police keep an eye on our home while we are gone?
You can call 919-918-7397 and request a house check. The information will be passed on to the officer that patrols your neighborhood. While we cannot "watch" your house, the officer will try to check on it each day.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?
Call the Police Department at 919-918-7397 and request additional traffic patrol in your area. We will make arrangements for the area patrol vehicles to increase traffic enforcement when possible.

How do I apply for a position with the Police Department?
Call the Town of Carrboro`s Human Resources Department at 919-918-7320 for employment information or to see a list of the current available employment opportunites in Carrboro, you may go to WWW.townofcarrboro.org.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. The person who takes your call will ask questions about the activity to determine its nature and ask for descriptions of the people involved. You will be asked for your name and address but you may refuse this information and we will still respond to the report.

How can I evict someone from my property?
Eviction is a legal process that often times requires a court order. Call the Orange County Clerk of Court more information (919-245-2210).

What can I do about stray dogs and cats and barking dogs?
The Animal Control Enforcement officer responsible for calls involving dogs and cats. The number for that department is 919-942-PETS (7387).

Can I report drunk drivers to 911 on my celltelephone?
Yes, calls to 911 on a cell phone are free. Do not try to pursue the drunk driver or place yourself in any danger. When you call, you will be asked for the description of the car, where it is, and the direction it is going.

Back To FAQ List

Request in process, please wait...